It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Post subject: Helagoth's Basics of Raiding
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 am  
Helagoth
Lord of the Dance
<Integrity>

Site Admin

Here are the basics of raiding, as I see it. Following these few simple rules will cover the majority of fights in WoW, and lead to success.

Bad fire is BAD!!!!!!

Almost every fight has a "Bad Fire" that it is bad to stand in. Know what the bad fire is, and don't stand in it.

Take off your blinders
Sometimes, the boss drops the bad fire under a certain person, and its possible that person just dropped that fire under you. If you're only focused on hitting your buttons for WTFPWNMAXDPS, you'll die and then do wtfpwnZEROdps. Sometimes the boss will explode, and you have to watch for when you need to run away. Sometimes the tanks are busy doing stuff, and if all you're worried about is your personal numbers, you'll pull aggro and kill yourself or others.

This is called tunnel vision, and it's bad. Tunnel vision causes everyone to get ice tombed, defiled, or mind controlled.

Lag is bad, mkay?

If you're lagging so bad you can't function, we're better off running 1 person short. Invariably, you WILL get the bad debuff thing, and kill us all if you're lagging. I know everyone wants to raid and have fun, but if you cause wipes, you're wasting people's time.

And it's OK to say "hey I'm lagging bad". We may decide to go anyway, but at least if we know we can plan for it.

Don't Panic!
Panic will kill you and everyone else faster than everything. Panic is what makes someone run their fire patch into the middle of the room or get themselves cleaved by the dragon.

The cure for panic is planning and understanding boss mechanics. The bosses do things in a predictable order or on timers. Lets take the vampire buff in Blood Queen as an example. Someone gets bitten. They do DPS for 1 minute, then have to bite someone else. They then have 15 seconds to bite someone, or they get mind controlled. If you do not plan, when its time to bite someone, you have to figure out where they are, move there, and then bite. Maybe you can do this in 15 seconds, maybe not, but there is colossal room for screwing up. Most likely, you'll kill everyone.

Alternatively, you could get bitten. While hitting your buttons for a minute, you look around the room, and see the person you have to bite. You move a little closer to them, so when its time to bite, you're not running across the room. You look to see what mark they have on their head, if applicable. You keep an eye on them, so that if they move with fire or red beams, you know where they went. Then when its time to bite, you have a full 15 seconds to walk over to them, face them, and spam your 1 button until your bars change back.

This is my Toon. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Take pride in yourself and your character, and take care of it. Gem and enchant your gear. Get easy upgrades if available, and know what the big upgrades you need are. Know your spells and abilities. Nothing makes you look more noobish than someone saying "Hey cast XXX" and you're like "what spell is that?"

If you take care of your character, it will take care of you. A little research into "what do I gem for and what do i prioritize for a rotation" will go a long way.

Replace "CLICK CLICK CLICK" with "CLACK CLACK CLACK".

It's possible to do well by clicking all your buttons, don't get me wrong. And healers tend to click a lot, either with grid & clique, healbot, vuhdo, whatever. For DPS, however, if you're clicking all your buttons, you're not performing as well as you can be.

First, clicking requires looking at your buttons more than keyboard pressing, which means you're not paying as much attention to what's going on around you.

Second, its just plain harder long-term to do a proper rotation by clicking. You don't have to keybind every single ability, but your top 4 at least should be easily press-able, along with a couple emergency buttons. I use 1,2,3,4 for my main attacks, and F1, F2, F3, F4 for my "oh crap" buttons. '~' is my skull marker, caps lock my push to talk button, and for healing, I use shift and alt for modifiers for healbot with my left, middle, and right buttons for a total of 9 spells I can quickly and easily cast through healbot.

It definitely takes getting used to, and figuring out which buttons to put under which fingers is an art, but once you do, the change from clicker to clacker is profound.

Note:
The people who have at a very minimum been exposed to this information:

ADH
Aukora
Dacatman
Elly
Euph
Ganelon
Jax
Lmad
Meirer
Moongaris
Occidio
Proudmoon
Rolltid
Sadama
Talongore

LET'S DANCE!

Post subject: Re: Helagoth's Basics of Raiding
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:47 am  
Talongore
Social
<Integrity>

According to the "Raiding Standards" post:
"Everyone will also be required to sign “Helagoth’s Basic’s of WoW and Raiding” so that I know that at a very least you have been exposed to the ideas required to not be a noob."

Is this the correct post referred to? If so.... /signed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:56 am  
Helagoth
Lord of the Dance
<Integrity>

Site Admin

talongore wrote:
According to the "Raiding Standards" post:
"Everyone will also be required to sign “Helagoth’s Basic’s of WoW and Raiding” so that I know that at a very least you have been exposed to the ideas required to not be a noob."

Is this the correct post referred to? If so.... /signed.

I was going to do another one because I forgot I did this back in October. LOL! But yeah basically. If anyone has anything to add, feel free. I don't want this to turn into a novel, just some of the basic things that trip people up.

Personally, I think the one about planning and panic'ing is the biggest thing to raiding. KNOWING what abilities are coming up WHEN makes a huge difference in your ability to deal with it.

LET'S DANCE!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:19 am  
Talongore
Social
<Integrity>

Helagoth wrote:
Personally, I think the one about planning and panic'ing is the biggest thing to raiding. KNOWING what abilities are coming up WHEN makes a huge difference in your ability to deal with it.

I would second that...and its come up in Cata post-raid discussions before b/c it tripped us up a few nights (I think Atramedes). Thinking ahead, not getting yourself boxed in, knowing what's about to happen in the raid....being PROactive instead of REactive....those sort of thing make all the difference in a raid. If you are doing those things, you will also not need to panic b/c you'll avoid the "bad" situations for the most part.

We all complain about bad tanks/healers/dps, but one good thing they do is help the rest of us learn to be PROactive. Even in 5-mans, whether low-level on an alt or Heroic trolls, bad players cause chaos....and you can learn things about your class, and other classes by trying to get thru the chaos. Sometimes you live, sometimes you die...but trying to get thru those situations, you learn some tactics that can help in raids, even if its just not to panic b/c things aren't going the way the raid leader said.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:02 am  
Anonymous

Signed as well.

Gan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 am  
Euphmage

signed

Ernest Hemingway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 am  

Sadama
Raid Leader
<Integrity>

I'm in yo thread, doing absolutely nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:14 pm  

Adhoohshiny
Raid Leader
<Integrity>

Reviewed and signed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:27 pm  
Jax
GM Alt
<Integrity>

Read and signed.....like a boss!!!! of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:28 pm  
Bloodcharged

I attempted to read it and also attempting to sign it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:54 pm  
Meirer
Elite Raider
<Integrity>

No Jax, bears sign like a boss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:03 pm  
Anonymous

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (and there was much rejoicing)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 pm  
Aukora
Officer
<Integrity>

I signed it! Now can I go shoot internet dragons in the side (cant be the face or I'd get breathed on)? Please oh please?!

Aramassa
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:26 pm  
Ellyna
GM Alt
<Integrity>

Signed... and a helpful hint....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:46 pm  

Lmad
Elite Raider